CLDP Opens Doors to Big Opportunities
What are the program dates?
Once accepted into the program, fellows will work with MPAC staff to apply for and secure internships/fellowships on Capitol Hill. The program itself lasts approx. 10 weeks, from Memorial Day through Aug 1.
Can i choose my own internship?
CLDP does not restrict you from pursuing internships with preferred congressional offices on your own. As placement isn’t guaranteed, MPAC staff works closely with fellows to prepare application materials and facilitate application submissions. Where preffered offices don’t work out, we utilize our relationships with offices in need of interns to help secure placement.
Fellows and staffers with Rep. Andre Carson in the US Capitol for MPAC’s 2021 Eid on the Hill.
What benefits does the program offer?
- A generous stipend
- Free housing
- Placement in Congressional office
- Application material consultations
- Pre-program guides and preparation
- Comprehensive orientation
- Policy and professional development curriculum
- Invitations to events around the city
- Mentorship program with Hill staff and alumni
- Access to our alumni networking platform
- Post-program job/internship placement support
- Muslim or an active member of the Muslim community
- Undergraduate student (incoming junior-senior), graduate student (including PhD, JD), or a recent graduate (within the last year) of an accredited university in the US
- Maintaining a minimum 3.0 Grade Point Average
- A US Citizen, Permanent Resident, or DACA recipient
What makes a competitive application?
At its heart, the CLDP program strives to both prepare and empower the next generation of Muslim leaders. With that in mind, it’s essential that the application committee understands what steps you have taken in the past and continue to take moving forward to becoming a proactive leader.
Successful applications showcase three things in particular:
- The applicant’s experience in policy, government, and community
- A clear goal of future public service ambitions
- How the applicant’s Muslim identity is a catalyst in why they hope to serve in places like Washington D.C.
What are the important deadlines and dates?
- Applications are due January 20th at 11:59pm EST
- Interviews will take place January – February, with acceptance offers issued shortly after.
“CLDP is like an incubator for different policy-related careers, you don’t have to run for office to gain something valuable.”